The quoted voltage alone says nothing about the power of the batteries or the cordless products.
Power is defined as the product of voltage and current:
Power = Voltage x Amperage --> W = V x A
The interaction between voltage and current and the technical implementation of the overall system are the points that determine the performance of a cordless product.
In the case of hand-held cordless battery products, a compact build and weight are crucial for operator convenience. From a technical point of view there are certain restrictions when it comes to making products compact:
- One goes for a high voltage (e.g. 80V) and can technically use only low electrical currents because the number of components and the weight would otherwise increase.
- On the other hand, one confines oneself to a still meaningful high voltage (36V), which allows high electrical currents technically and can limit the number of components and the weight.
STIHL, like many other established manufacturers of cordless battery products, decided in favor of a system with a maximum voltage of 36V. This high voltage, which is still technically meaningful and allows high electrical currents to be used, guarantees high performance and future sustainability of the cordless products.
Cordless products are compact, lightweight and more robust due to the use of fewer electrical components.
Furthermore, STIHL offers an efficient, high-performance overall system of matched components:
- The intelligent motor control guarantees constant high power over the entire running time.
- The energy supply to the electric motor is actively controlled in response to the type of application. Full power is always made available for extreme applications. However, power is automatically reduced if it is not necessary for the current application. In this way the energy in the battery is used optimally and the runtime on a single charge extended.
- Efficient batteries in compact design and available in different versions (with high energy content or low weight) ensure a long runtime and operator convenience.
- Cutting attachments designed to match the cordless product, e.g. the ¼" P saw chain, guarantee optimum performance in every application.
Ultimately, it is always the energy content of the battery and the efficiency and implementation of the overall system that define the runtime and performance. For this reason systems with 56V or 80V have no advantages over the STIHL cordless system with 36V.